Vote now for your favourite design
Ingle & Rhode is delighted to announce the launch of the Fairtrade Gold Design Awards! Open to UK-based jewellery students, apprentices, and those at the start of their jewellery careers, these awards will showcase the talents of emerging jewellery designers, while raising awareness of Fairtrade gold amongst the people who are the future of our industry.
Registered entrants were invited to submit a design for either a wedding ring, an engagement ring or a wedding and engagement ring set by 12th March 2017.
Registration for the Awards is now closed and the finalists have been selected. Please visit: www.ingleandrhode.co.uk/awards/2017-finalists/ to vote for your favourite design.
Designs may incorporate yellow, white or rose gold (maximum of 10g of fine gold or 13.3g of 18ct gold) and a maximum of 0.5ct of round brilliant cut white diamonds (in total, whether all set in one ring or shared across two rings). Diamonds should not be smaller than 0.8mm diameter (approximately 0.003ct).
Entries will be assessed on originality, creativity, presentation and practical considerations, and a shortlist of up to 20 finalists will be put to a public vote.
Winners will be announced in three categories:
- Apprentices & Students in Further Education
- Postgraduates & Early Careers (working in the jewellery industry for less than 3 years)
A judging panel from Ingle & Rhode, The Fairtrade Foundation, The Goldsmiths' Company, Vipa Designs, and the jewellery journalist Rachael Taylor, will award commendations to the designs they believe deserve special recognition, and will pick the overall winner.
The overall winner will receive £500, valuable work experience, and the opportunity to see their design transformed into a stunning piece of Fairtrade gold jewellery.
Ingle & Rhode will create the winning design in Fairtrade gold and fully-traceable ethically-produced diamonds. The finished piece will be loaned to the winner to exhibit at their end of year show and/or the New Designers exhibition, before it is auctioned by Ingle & Rhode to raise money for the Fairtrade Foundation.
The Awards are a fantastic way for future talent within the industry to work with metal that has the ability to empower miners and transform lives. Through Fairtrade, miners get a guaranteed Fairtrade minimum price and premium, and the Standards include strict requirements on working conditions, health and safety, handling chemicals, women’s rights, child labour and protection of the environment.
- Registration deadline 12th February 2017
- Submissions deadline 12th March 2017 (end of Fairtrade Fortnight)
- Winners and commended designs announced in April 2017
- Winning design manufactured in May 2017
- Winning design exhibited in June/July 2017 (student’s end of year show and/or New Designers)
- Winning design auctioned August 2017
Terms & Conditions
- In order to be eligible to register to enter the Awards, you must be living in the UK, and must be either:
(a) a student in further education, studying in the UK on a Level 2, 3 or 4 course related to the jewellery industry; or
(b) registered on an undergraduate degree course in the UK, where jewellery design is a formally assessed component of their degree; or
(c) registered on a postgraduate jewellery course in the UK, or working in the UK jewellery industry for less than three years; or
(d) on a jewellery apprenticeship scheme in the UK.
- Those eligible to submit an entry for the Awards should register at www.ingleandrhode.co.uk/awards/ no later than Sunday 12th February 2017. Only those that have completed a valid registration by this date will be able to enter the Awards.
- By submitting a registration for the Awards, you give Ingle & Rhode permission to contact you for the purposes of confirming your registration and communicating information that Ingle & Rhode considers relevant to the administration of the Awards.
- Entrants may make one submission only to the Awards. Ingle & Rhode reserves the right to exclude entrants who it believes have made more than one submission or that Ingle & Rhode judges not to meet the eligibility criteria above.
- Submissions should include 2D design images (hand drawn or computer drawn) in the form of .jpg files, as well as a written description of the design, its context and influences, and the rationale for making the design using Fairtrade gold (maximum of 200 words).
- Submissions must include sufficiently detailed 2D design images to allow Ingle & Rhode to be able to manufacture the design, in the event that it is selected as the winner. As such, at a minimum, design images must include a top view, a side view and a front view, along with key dimensions.
- Submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12th March 2017, which is the last day of Fairtrade Fortnight 2017. Submissions must be sent from an email address that has been approved during the registration process.
- Entrants will retain the design rights to the designs that they submit to the Awards, but by entering the Awards they:
(a) give Ingle & Rhode and the Fairtrade Foundation permission to publicise their designs on their websites, through social media, and through traditional media; and
(b) give Ingle & Rhode permission to manufacture the winning design once, and agree that this piece of jewellery will be the property of Ingle & Rhode; and
(c) agree to be photographed and interviewed by Ingle & Rhode in the event that they are selected as a category winner, a commended entrant, or the overall winner; and give Ingle & Rhode and the Fairtrade Foundation permission to publish their photograph and interview on their respective websites, through social media, and through traditional media.
Ethically Sourced, Exquisite Design
Browse our ready-to-buy collections
Call us on 020 7499 2012 or come and see us in person at our showroom close to Bond Street station, London. You’ll be able to discover our stunning collection, speak to our experts one-on-one and explore the option of creating your very own bespoke ring. We aim to respond to appointment booking emails within 1 hour.book appointment
"Ingle & Rhode is one of London's number one jewellery destinations"
"Ingle & Rhode... the jewellers leading the way to cleaner, greener gold."
"Better shut the cabinet doors, I'm feeling involuntary kleptomania coming on"
"Ingle & Rhode is perfect for couples who want style and luxury with a conscience"
"Ingle & Rhode... committed to ethical sourcing."
"Ingle & Rhode produces beautiful pieces that you can wear with a clear conscience."