Marquise Engagement Rings
Browse our beautiful selection of marquise engagement rings. Inspired by the smile of the Marquise de Pompadour, marquise cut diamonds are flattering to the hand, making fingers look longer and more slender. Select your perfect setting from our selection, and then pair it with your dream diamond.
Advantages of marquise cut diamond rings
Marquise cut diamonds, also known as navette cuts (French for “little boat”), are a modified brilliant cut with 57 or 58 facets, depending on whether the point at the bottom (the culet) is faceted or not. First developed in the 18th Century, the cut was inspired by the striking smile of the Marquise de Pompadour, King Louis XV’s mistress. In recent years, the marquise cut has seen a resurgence in interest, especially among those seeking an engagement ring with a vintage or unique look.
Marquise cut diamonds also offer three main benefits:
- Distinctive shape: marquise cut diamond rings remain reasonably unusual, making them a great choice if you're looking for an engagement ring that's a little bit different.
- Flattering to the hand: marquise engagement rings are very flattering to the hand, making the wearer's fingers look longer and more slender.
- Look large for their carat weight: due to their elongated shape, marquise cut diamonds tend to have a larger crown area relative to their volume, which means that they look large for their carat weight – this can be helpful if you want to maximise your diamond’s perceived size within a given budget.
How to choose a marquise diamond engagement ring
If you're looking for a marquise diamond engagement ring, here are the key things to look out for:
- Proportions: a marquise cut is generally considered to have ideal proportions when the length of the diamond is approximately twice its width (a length-to-width ratio of 2). However, this really is a matter of personal preference, and you may prefer more slender proportions (a length-to-width ratio greater than 2) or wider proportions (a length-to-width ratio less than 2).
- Symmetry: you should always look for a marquise cut diamond with very good or excellent symmetry. Not only does asymmetry detract from the shape of stone, but it also adversely affects how light is reflected and refracted.
- Bowtie effect: like some other elongated diamond shapes (like ovals and pears), the marquise cut can exhibit a "bowtie" effect – a shadowy area in the shape of a bowtie running across the centre of the stone when viewed from above. While virtually all marquise diamonds have some degree of a bowtie, the visibility and prominence can vary, so be sure to check for this when choosing a marquise cut engagement ring.
- Setting: marquise diamonds look great in a wide range of setting styles, from solitaire settings to halo settings to vintage-inspired designs. However, due to the pointed ends of the marquise cut, it's crucial to ensure that the diamond is protected. V-tip prongs are recommended for the tips to protect them from chipping.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a marquise cut diamond?
The marquise cut diamond has an elongated oval shape with pointed ends. It is known for its boat-like appearance and is sometimes called the "navette" (French for "little boat").
How many facets does a marquise diamond have?
A standard marquise cut diamond has 57 facets unless the culet is faceted, in which case it has 58 facets.
Are marquise cut diamond engagement rings popular?
The marquise cut has seen fluctuating popularity over the years but remains a unique and stylish choice for those looking for a distinctive diamond ring that stands out from the crowd.
What are the advantages of marquise engagement rings?
Aside from their distinctive shape, marquise cuts offer a number of advantages, including:
- Their elongated shape flatters the finger, making it look longer and more slender.
- Viewed from above, they look larger for their carat weight, enhancing their visual impact.
- Compared to round brilliant cuts, the cost per carat for marquise cuts tends to be lower, meaning you can get a bigger diamond for your money.
- When well-cut, marquise diamonds can exhibit a great deal of brilliance and fire.
What is the best length-to-width ratio for a marquise cut diamond?
Personal preferences vary, but most prefer a length-to-width ratio between 1.75 and 2.25.
Are there any particular concerns with the marquise cut?
Marquise cut diamonds are prone to having what's called a "bowtie effect" — a dark area in the centre that looks like a bowtie. It is advisable to check the diamond visually to ensure this effect isn't too pronounced. Additionally, due to its pointed ends, marquise cut diamonds can be more susceptible to chipping, so we recommend settings that protect the tips with a V-claw. We also recommend that you choose a stone that has been graded as Very Good or Excellent for symmetry since any asymmetry is particularly noticeable in marquise cuts.
What settings are best for marquise engagement rings?
Claw settings that protect the two pointed tips of the diamond are popular for marquise cut diamond rings to protect the diamond from chipping. Halo settings also offer protection and add extra sparkle!
The buyers' guide to marquise cut diamonds
A guide to diamond shapes
A guide to lab grown diamonds
The 4Cs of diamonds
Conflict-free diamonds & ethical diamonds
How to choose an engagement ring
Top 20 proposal ideas from affordable to unique
I honestly cannot recommend Ingle & Rhode enough
Ben and I knew that we wanted a conflict-free and ethical diamond, and we were so delighted to find Ingle & Rhode (and I was so glad to be part of the process...!) Ellie was so warm and helpful, and clearly passionate and knowledgeable about what she does – we really enjoyed meeting her on several occasions, and she responded to all our questions and requests quickly and with such consideration; we really felt that we were getting a bespoke, personal, 1:1 process. I am beyond delighted with my beautiful Aria ring with my stunning lab-grown diamond – I'm 6 weeks engaged, and still don't stop staring at it in all different lights. Thank you so much Ingle & Rhode - you made the world of difference to us in the months before getting engaged, and we have not stopped telling people about you since.
Ingle & Rhode were exceptional throughout the whole process
I was purchasing an engagement ring, so I had a lot to learn. Their website is very useful and helps you build your own ring. I also had an appointment for initial discussions and consultations. They were great at talking through options, giving suggestions and advising on ring size. I work overseas and so the logistics were complicated but they were so flexible and helpful. Everything went well and the ring was even delivered to the house. Brilliant follow up service for additional questions and support. Beautiful products and great service.
Beautiful, ethical jewellery - can't recommend enough!
I am so glad that I found Ingle & Rhode when looking to buy my partner an engagement ring - they are superb, and the products are wonderful.
Buying an ethical ring was really important to my partner and I, and so I was immediately drawn in by Ingle & Rhode - unlike a lot of ethical jewellery companies, their rings are still very contemporary.. which was exactly what my partner wanted!
I had a couple of calls with Ellie during the process, who was so helpful - despite not having a great idea of what to go for, she was decisive and led me towards my own decisions; highly recommend speaking with the team, because they are wonderful (and lovely people too).
Can't recommend using Ingle & Rhode highly enough - my partner loved the ring that I chose, and we would definitely use them again for jewellery in the future.
My experience from start to finish was superb
I have my dream ring which is my 10 year anniversary ring and its STUNNING I can’t stop looking at it. It took about 4 months from start to finish but so worth the wait. We had to find the right diamond and it then had to match my image I had in my head for the setting. From my first phone call to picking up the ring Ellie has been fantastic and very informative along the way. Hayley, the designer was so patient with me going back and forth on design and also had amazing ideas to really elevate the ring. The product and service is truly wonderful so much so I want to buy a new piece every year ( just have to convince the hubby ;) !! Well done team I&R
I have just collected my beautiful bespoke ruby and diamond ring from Ingle & Rhode. The journey started with an email enquiry and a face to face meeting with Natalie, who was so helpful and talked through with me some ideas I already had. This ring isn't an engagement ring but more of a statement piece, and I knew that I wanted to find a product that fitted my ethical & environmental values. Hayley then took over with the design process which was so enjoyable, and I have loved watching and being involved with my ring slowly evolving from 6 initial designs. I was really happy with the final CAD artwork and now that it has been turned into the finished piece, it is simply stunning. I could not be happier with my purchase and would thoroughly recommend Ingle & Rhode to anyone looking for a bespoke design and ethical values for a special piece of jewellery, whatever the occasion. Thank you to the whole team!.
The Bespoke Experience
If you’d like a ring that’s completely personal to you, then our bespoke design service is the perfect way to bring your vision to life. From the initial design process to the hand finishing by our master craftsmen, we’ll help you to create a uniquely ethical ring that’s right in every way.
- From £1500
- Design to delivery in 4-6 weeks
- Complimentary sketches of potential designs to bring your unique ideas to life
- Work one-to-one with an I&R designer to create a truly unique masterpiece